The process is simple. Initially, the boiling procedure may seem strange, but once you've done it, you'll wonder why you hesitated. Just boil a pot of water as you would for spaghetti, and boiil the shaped bagel for about 2 minutes, turning once. Your first few bagels may not come out round and smooth on top, but they'll taste good you mat think you're ready to go into business.
Basically, these are the basic steps required to make bagels. We'll go into each in detail.
1. Mix, knead and first rise: Mix flour, water, salt, sugar (or malt or honey) and yeast, knead them and let the dough rise for aobut an hour. Mixing and kneading can be done in a bread machine, a food used to make any yeast bread.
2. Shape bagels: Form the dough into the traditional bagel shape by rolling, poking a hole in a ball or using a bagel cutter.
3. Second rise: Allow a short rest and second rise period, about 20 minutes.
4. Boil or "kettle": Drop the bagels into boiling water for 1 to 3 minutes and drain. You can bake immediately or refrigerate for 1 to 24 hours.
5. Glaze and apply topping: This step is not essential to the final product.
6. Bake: Bake in a preheated oven for 20 to 35 minutes.
CONTINUED IN ABOUT BAGELS — GENERAL DIRECTIONS 1 B
From: Carolyn Shaw Date: 12 May 96
Your About Bagels -- General Directions 1 A is ready. Good luck!
Related recipes: Crs, Makebagel, Breads
Season specials: Easter Recipes, Passover Recipes, Christmas Recipes, Season Recipes, Xmas Recipes