1. In a large bowl, combine regular flour, salt, and yeast. In a 2 quart saucepan over low heat, heat water, molasses, butter or margarine and 3 cups oats until very warm (120 to 130~). Butter does not need to melt completely.
2. With mixer at low speed, gradually beat oat mixture into dry ingredients just until blended. Increase speed to medium; beat 2 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl. With wooden spoon, stir in 3 cups whole wheat flour to make a soft dough.
3. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. With floured hands, knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, working in about ½ cup whole wheat flour while kneading. Shape dough into ball and place in greased large bowl, turning dough over so that top is greased. Cover bowl with towel and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. (Dough is doubled when two fingers pressed lightly into dough leave a dent.)
4. Grease large cookie sheet. Punch down dough. Shape dough into a ball; place on cookie sheet. Cover with towel and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 350~. With knife, cut 5 slashes in top of loaf. In cup with fork, beat egg. With pastry brush, brush bread with beaten egg; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons oats. Bake 2 hour or until bread sound hollow when lightly tapped with fingers. Remove bread from cookie sheet and place Posted on Genie by: G.STURN [Bethie]
Your Crusty Whole-Wheat Oatmeal Bread is ready. Bon appetit!
Related recipes: Breads
Season specials: Easter Recipes, Passover Recipes, Christmas Recipes, Season Recipes, Xmas Recipes