1. Prepare te Relish: Pour the black eyed peas into a bowl, cover with warm water and let soak for 1 hr. Drain peas in a sieve, rinsing carefully to remove any remaining dirt. Pour the drained peas into a saucepan, cover them with water and ad the diced sweet potato, add of salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer gently until just tender (about 15 min.) Drain and set aside to cool. Add the olive oil to a skillet and saute 2 cups of minced onion, while stirring until the onions are transparent. Scrape them into a bowl and cool.
2. Combine the black eyed peas, sauteed onions, red bell pepper, parsley, basil, chives, and raspberry vinegar to finish the relish. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
3. While the peas and onions are cooling, prepare a stuffing for the quail: In a medium-size skillet, briefly saute the sausage and remaining ½ cup of minced onion, stirring to break up the sausage. DO NOT BROWN the sausage. Add the minced apple and immediately pour fat from skillet. Scrape the sausage mixture into a bowl and chill.
: (Recipe may done ahead to this point.)
4. Rinse the quail under running water and check the cavities for any bones. When the stuffing is cool, dived it into 12 portions and stuff the quail, placing them in a shallow broiler pan. Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
teriyaki sauce, thyme, lemon peel, and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor. With the motor running, slowly add the peanut oil.
6. Coat the quail with the sauce and set them in the middle level of the oven to roast until golden. (about 20 minutes) While the quail are roasting, divide the relish among 6 plates. Remove the quail from the oven and carefully place 2 on a bed of relish on each plate. Serve with corn on the cob, a tossed green salad, and a lightly chilled pinot noir. From Chicago Tribune Magazine, May 16, 1993
Your Elizabeth Terry's Barbecue Quail w/ black eyed pea relish is ready. Happy cooking!
Related recipes: Wild game, Poultry, Main dish
Season specials: Easter Recipes, Passover Recipes, Christmas Recipes, Season Recipes, Xmas Recipes