1. Trim the excess fat from the lamb and cut into neat portions.
2. Slice onions thinly.
3. Peel and core apple and cut into thin slices.
4. Peel potatoes and rinse under cold water. Slice thinly.
5. Cover base of a large casserole (about 3-pint size) with a layer of sprinkle with herbs and a shake of salt and pepper. Top with remaining apple and onions then lastly with remaining potato slices.
6. Dissolve Marmite in the hot water and pour into a dish over vegetables and meat.
7. Dot top with small pieces of butter or margarine then cover with lid or aluminium foil.
8. Bake in centre of moderate oven (350 F or Gas No. 4) for 1-½ hours. Uncover and continue to cook for further 20 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are golden.
Your Lamb and Apple Casserole is ready. Bon appetit!
Related recipes: Main dish
Season specials: Easter Recipes, Passover Recipes, Christmas Recipes, Season Recipes, Xmas Recipes