1. Wash and scale herrings.
2. Roll up, skin side outside, from head end to tail.
4. Slice onion thinly and put into dish between herrings.
5. Sprinkle with spice then add bay leaf.
6. Dissolve Marmite in hot water and stir in vinegar, lemon juice and sugar. Pour over herrings.
7. Stand strip of lemon peel on top.
8. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
9. Cover and cook in centre of cool oven (300 F or Gas No. 2) for 1-½ hours.
10. Remove from oven and leave until completely cold before serving.
Your Soused Herrings with Lemon is ready. Buon appetito!
Related recipes: Appetizers, Fish
Season specials: Easter Recipes, Passover Recipes, Christmas Recipes, Season Recipes, Xmas Recipes