Cook the spinach and chop it up. Cut the cheese into about ¾-inch cubes and deep fry a few pieces at a time in oil (a wok is good for this).
Fry the chopped onions in the ghee. When almost brown, add the finely-chopped ginger. Use a medium to high heat. When the onions are golden, reduce the heat and add the skinned and chopped tomato, then the spices and salt. Cover for a few minutes, then add the spinach and salt. Cover and simmer about 5 minutes to let spices penetrate. Add the cheese pieces, mix and serve.
* Indian vegetarian spinach and cheese curry — This is a dish I learned from an Indian lady, at a cooking class. It's simple to make and has a beautifully subtle flavor. As per true curries, it uses raw spices instead of some prepackaged curry powder. Yield: Serves 4 to 6.
* We eat this dish as a meal with rice, although you can use it as one dish along with others.
* The quantities given for the spinach and cheese are very flexible. I never measure or weigh them, just putting in what seems right. Experiment. Similarly, it can be kept hot for a while with no loss in taste or texture.
* In North America, most Ricotta cheese is packed as a pot cheese. This recipe calls for a more solid form of the cheese. Specialty ethnic markets tub of pot Ricotta and wrapping it in a clean cloth to wick the moisture out, leaving the whole assembly in the refrigerator for a week or so, and changing the cloth every day. With such treatment the cheese will gradually solidify enough that you can slice and fry it. Buffalo-milk Mozzarella is a fair substitute, and ordinary Mozzarella is a last-chance substitute.
* Don't fry the cheese too long. It should have a golden exterior and have a marshmallow texture inside. Frying too long makes it hard and dry.
* Use whole cumin seeds and cloves, not the ground variety.
* Like most curries, this reheats splendidly.
: Difficulty: easy to moderate. : Time: 1 hour. : Precision: Approximate measurement OK.
: Peter C. Maxwell, : Department of Computer Science, : University of New South Wales, : Sydney, AUSTRALIA.
Your Spinach and Cheese Curry is ready. Bon appetit!
Related recipes: Entrees, Indian, Vegetables
Season specials: Easter Recipes, Passover Recipes, Christmas Recipes, Season Recipes, Xmas Recipes