1. Cover the chicken with cold water, bring just to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until cooked through. Cool, shred with your fingers and refrigerate.
2. Wrap the tortillas in foil and place in a preheated 200-degree oven while preparing the remaining ingredients.
3. Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a medium-sized pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, shallot and jalapeno; saute 1 minute. Add the black beans, tomato, ½ teaspoon cumin, 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, ¼ teaspoon salt and the cilantro. Heat through and keep warm over low heat.
4. Heat the remaining 1-½ teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the red onions and saute until they begin to soften. Stir in the chicken, ¼ teaspoon cumin, 1/8 teaspoon cayenne and ¼ teaspoon salt. Heat through 3 minutes.
5. Remove the chicken from the heat and stir in 2 teaspoons lime juice; stir 2 teaspoons lime juice into the black beans. Spoon the chicken and bean mixtures into the warm tortillas; top with a little yogurt.
Data per serving: 361 calories, 31g protein, 8g fat, 42g carbohydrate, 381 mg sodium, 1g saturated fat, 3g monounsaturated fat, 1g polyunsaturated fat, 56mg cholesterol.
Printed in the October 25, 1995, issue of The Seattle Times.
Your Black Beans & Chicken in Tortillas is ready. Good luck!
Related recipes: Poultry, Mexican
Season specials: Easter Recipes, Passover Recipes, Christmas Recipes, Season Recipes, Xmas Recipes