For the mixed veg I use things like water chestnuts, green beans, cauliflower etc etc. The original recipe had pork and shrimp but I changed it, and it works fine :-)
Slice the shallots lengthways Use brown sugar if palm sugar isn;t available. Peel and slice the cucumbers diagonally into thick ovals trim the green beans cut the cabbage into two inc wedges
1. In a small, heavy bottomed saucepan, bring the coconut milk to a gentle simmer over a low heat. Cook, stirring gently,until the coconut milk is fragent and it's oil glistens on the surface (about 6-8 mins)
2. While it simmers, combine the bean sauce and half of the shallots in a mortar. Using a pestle, mash the mixture to a chunky paste.
3. When the coconut milk is ready add the shallot paste and stir well. Add all the vegetables except the cucumbers, cabbage,green beans and the remaining shallots. Cook for five minutes
4. Add the sugar and simmer until the shallots wilt and the sugar melts, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tamarind and taste the sauce, which should be a balance of salty, sour and sweet.
5. Transfer the sauce to a small bowl and place it on a plate, garnished with the cucumbers, cabbage wedges and green beans. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Your Lone Dao Jiow (Dao Jiow Coconut Sauce with Fresh Vegetabl is ready. Happy cooking!
Related recipes: Vegetarian, Kaz, Thai
Season specials: Easter Recipes, Passover Recipes, Christmas Recipes, Season Recipes, Xmas Recipes